Saturday, June 18, 2005

For the Record

Just in case you're curious, I will not be including Real Simple in my survey of literature about simple living. Every time I think about this magazine (not often, I am happy to say), I feel a jolt of fury. How dare they try to make a bunch of money on the concept of simple living by peddling super-expensive ways to 'simplify' our lives by buying more crap?

Here's another disgust-inducing example. I have to replace the 'closet system' where I keep my clothes because the one that's already there is falling apart dangerously. Ironically, my closet is too small to fit any of the ready-made closet organisers (and trust me, I do likes me some organising). So while we were at Costco I picked up the California Closets brochure, thinking that though it would still be too expensive, it might be within my price range, if they even bother making closet systems for tiny closets like mine. Anyway, California Closets tells me, 'We believe that when you organize your home, you Simplify Your Life (R).' A registered fucking trademark on the phrase 'Simplify Your Life' in relation to closets?! I just don't know if I can call them now, despite the fact that my closet is in a truly perilous state. Assholes.

The idea of simple living becoming a status symbol, well, it's absurd. It's also not worth my rage, of course, because people who are in touch with their values and who are truly trying to simplify will see through the garbage that is Real Simple and Simplify Your Life TM. But it's gross to think of simple living being 'trendy' and people looking at these things and thinking that more consumption of overpriced goods by the elite and those who want to be elite is what the movement is all about.

Well, just shows it's a good thing I'm keeping this blog now; I really told them!

Your voice of reason on the simple living frontlines--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home