Saturday, June 11, 2005

Introduction

Whew, that description on the left is rather dry and stilted! I think I went into abstract-writing mode (and not an especially lyrical abstract at that). I don't expect the rest of this blog to have quite that tone, but you never know.

At any rate, my intention right now is to use this forum to pull together ideas that have been simmering in the back of my mind and to share my reading list with others. We'll see if I stay true to that original vision or not. I would like to let the blog evolve naturally and tell me what it wants to be. (First she's pompous, then she's airy-fairy--it's an exciting ride here at Teatime reader's journal. Wait until my opinionated side comes out.)

If anyone is interested in reading the books I discuss here, I highly recommend checking them out from your local public library. Though I am a bibliophile by nature, I have learned over time that I feel liberated by NOT owning every book I read. Instead, I get likely prospects from the library first and only buy a book if I love it or think it's an important addition to my household. I suppose it's kind of like dating. The 'personals' of these books are the review I get from Powells.com (my largest source for new reading material besides the bibliographies of the books I read). If the ad reads well, I set up that initial first meeting by putting the book on hold at the library. Having the book waiting for me at my library branch saves that awkward first meeting when you're not sure you'll be able to recognise one another from the photos you exchanged. Then I take it home and see if we're compatible. Hmm. I think this metaphor has gone far enough--you get the idea.

I know that I'm fortunate to have an excellent public library system in my city and I couldn't resist the chance to plug libraries in general. If readers aren't so lucky, another idea I've considered is getting together with friends of like interests and creating our own simple living/social justice/consumer culture library. This would create a community of readers who are reading and thinking about the same concepts without each of us having to buy every book individually.

Happy reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home